Has anyone given up on their T-40?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has anyone given up on their T-40?

Post  Crikker on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:57 pm

This might be a stupid question in a T-40 forum, but has anyone just had enough of trying to get the sound they want out of their T-40? That's where I am right now. I've been jacking with two T-40s now for months and along with my amp, I can't get anything dialed in that I like. Thought I had it and I'm back to this boomy sound that I've posted about before.

Crikker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone given up on their T-40?

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:30 am

Honestly I simply don't play mine enough to have a sound of my own. I have a couple settings I use when I do pick Sonia up and I'm fairly happy with them.

ITOC #05-00013

4 T-60s, T-63, T-15, Generation Standard, Hydra, Mantis LT, Milestone, Mystic, Odyssey, Patriot, Patriot tremolo, Predator, Raptor, Razer, Reactor, 3 Rockmasters, Tracer, Bandit, Musician 400, VSS 20, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP-1.
Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bo_H on Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm very happy with mine. Otherwise it wouldn't still be my primary (since 1984). I had to drop back on the bass and leave the mids on my amp flat. The T40 seems very harsh if you let the mids get out of hand. The boominess could be a bass eq issue. You don't crank the bass knob all the way up do you?
Bo_H

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crikker on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:39 pm

I tried messing around with the amp again tonight. No luck. Tried dialing the mids to about half way and turned the bass way down. Still sounds crappy. I have an old Peavey Milestone and I plugged that in and it sounded ok to me. Underpowered but ok. P-bassish. I can't, for the life of me, get any kind of sound close to that out of my T-40s. I don't know what happened.

Crikker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bo_H on Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:47 am

Have you tried another amp?

The bottom line is that it may never be something you like. I feel the same way about Jazz basses. I simply won't have anything to do with one. That doesn't make a Jazz bass a bad thing; just not my style. I like P basses and T40s but will shun a Jazz or a Stingray. Weird ain't it?

Anyway, I'd encourage you to sell them and get something you'd like better. Just my $.02

--Bo
Bo_H

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  FlatEric on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:09 am

Hi.
The T-40 has it's own Signature Sound.

I Jazz will not sound like A Jaydee, a Hofner will not sound like a Musicman etc.

There are sounds close to what is accepted as a P or J sound from the T-40 but
it is not the same.
If your T-40 is a Toaster, it will be warmer and not as bright as the Blade type.
One of my favourite sounds - Bridge V full, T at 7 - Neck V 9 ish T at 10 - in phase.
I have a few variations on this, depending on the room

You never need too much bass on the amp, it is just too much - sometimes the boom
is exagerated through a wooden floor.
They are amp sensitive - I have an Ashdown and a Yamaha set up - different sounds
from each of them.

There are loads of folks who love the T-40 but then there are always going to be
some that prefer something else.

Give it a rest, come back to it later and if it's not for you. . . . . some other lucky
person out there will be the new owner Smile

Cheers. Smile
FlatEric

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Crikker on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm back! affraid I went away from my T-40 for a few months, bought a Fury that I played for some time, gave away my natural T-40 to my son, and just the other day, picked up the red T-40 instead of the Fury and I'm back. How's that for a sentence?

Now two things.
1) How can I afford another natural toaster? Lol.
2) Seriously, I need a new strap since I gave my good one to my son along with the bass. I'm looking for one like in this post I made at Talk Bass. Here's a link. Anyone have any suggestions on what they use or what strap I have here?

Thanks.

Crikker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:03 pm

See... if you had a red T-40 from the beginning all would have been good. Very Happy

90% of my guitars are red. My only bass is red as well. You can't got wrong with a red T-40.

ITOC #05-00013

4 T-60s, T-63, T-15, Generation Standard, Hydra, Mantis LT, Milestone, Mystic, Odyssey, Patriot, Patriot tremolo, Predator, Raptor, Razer, Reactor, 3 Rockmasters, Tracer, Bandit, Musician 400, VSS 20, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP-1.
Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum