Foundation 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Foundation 5

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:10 pm

I saw a black/maple Foundation 5 string in a pawn shop earlier today. It's only $100 out the door. If anybody is interested in this let me know. I'll be happy to pick it up for you and ship it to you. Just cover the purchase price and actual shipping costs.
Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foundation 5

Post  Scottpro1969 on Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:08 pm

$100? Really. Is it all beat up? Super ferrites?

Scottpro1969
Admin

View user profile http://t40mafia.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:54 am

It wouldn't meet the unreal high expectations of a factory mint instrument but it wasn't trashed by any means. I'd rate it very good to good. Maybe an 8 on a Spinal Tap scale of 11.
I do believe it had double Super Ferrites.
Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scottpro1969 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:58 am

Damn, that's a great price (as long as it works) Razz

If I hadn't just bought that Hofner I'd be all in on this. I've always wanted to try a 5 string, and it's a Foundation with ferrites!!! Figures, stupid timing. That's an awesome offer you're making Tony. I wish to god that I could jump on it Sad

Scottpro1969
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacatto on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:54 am

There was a black Foundation fiver in a local store around here, last year. affraid It was twice that price (with VFL pups) and sat on the shelf for months. It would have followed me home if equipped with the SF pups...
Stacatto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:11 pm

I need to go back and check it out in detail. It could be VFL pickups, don't they kinda look like the Super Ferrite at first glance? I need to run the serial number for the year too.
Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NGPeavey on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:24 pm

I went by there today. Got it sitting beind the counter waiting on me. As far as playability, it reminds me of a jazz. I didn't get a real good chance to play it much, but at that price I couldn't pass it up. As far as pickups, I don't which are what. Tomorrow I'll let you know more. Thanks for the tip Tony. I believe it's the 5 stringer I've been waiting to find. If someone would tell me how to post a picture on here I'll do it - of it and my T40 - and the T40 case I've been wondering about. Thanks again, Tony.
As for Scott and his Hofner, I have a cheap beatle copy I've had since I was seventeen. I wouldn't get rid of it for the world. Just someting about the looks and sound of them, nothing like it!

NGPeavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:37 am

Very cool. Hopefully this is the one you've been waiting for. And you didn't have to over pay at Mason's. Wink
Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NGPeavey on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:08 pm

Brought it home today. Serial #07649802, (if you track these also Tony). According to wikipedia its a 94. I have two questions. One is how do I tell what pickups are in it, and 2 is I'm not getting anything from the neck pickup. I'm a novice at electronics of this sort and would really like some advice. I haven't taken the back plate off it yet, because I don't know what I'm looking at if I do. Can anyone help? Thanks.

NGPeavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scottpro1969 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Congrats on your Foundation! Super ferrites will usually say it right on the front of the pickup and they will have pickup rings. The later non-ferrites won't have pickup rings, IIRC.

The problem with not getting anything from the neck pickup could be something as easy as a loose or broken wire, or a cold solder joint. Also, the pots might be bad. Hard to say until you get the control panel off. If it looks like it's been sitting around for a long time, neglected I would clean everything and re-testing before jumping to conclusions. I usually use pressurized air to clean out the control cavity and the pots, then use De-Oxit in each pot and the output jack.

I'm an amateur at best. Someone else please chime in with suggestion!

Scott

Scottpro1969
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NGPeavey on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:33 am

Mine looks like the bottom picture. I'll try a good cleaning on it this weekend. What is de-oxit? Thanks.

NGPeavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scottpro1969 on Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:02 pm

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Electronics,_pickups/DeoxIT_Pot_and_Switch_Cleaner.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=2716

really good stuff.

Proud ITOC #05-00048

Scottpro1969
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:40 pm

I wonder if I qualify for some type of compensation from the pawn shop for helping sell this... Wink

Remember guys, Chip recommends brake cleaner for cleaning pots. I think the brand is Berryman?

I might be able to meet up with you Glenn and take a look and see if I can get it up and running.

ITOC #05-00013

4 T-60s, T-63, T-15, Generation Standard, Hydra, Mantis LT, Milestone, Mystic, Odyssey, Patriot, Patriot tremolo, Predator, Raptor, Razer, Reactor, 3 Rockmasters, Tracer, Bandit, Musician 400, VSS 20, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP-1.
Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NGPeavey on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:02 pm

I might have to take you up on that. It started working today. Probably just needs good cleaning. I'm gonna put new strings, etc. this weekend and see where it gets me.

NGPeavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacatto on Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Congrats on your 'new' bass! Cool

We'd like to see a photo-when you can.
Stacatto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:59 pm

Yeah. Clean it up and string it up. Then test drive it and put it through it's paces. Let me know if we need to meet up.

ITOC #05-00013

4 T-60s, T-63, T-15, Generation Standard, Hydra, Mantis LT, Milestone, Mystic, Odyssey, Patriot, Patriot tremolo, Predator, Raptor, Razer, Reactor, 3 Rockmasters, Tracer, Bandit, Musician 400, VSS 20, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP-1.
Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top