My first T-40

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My first T-40

Post  Scottpro1969 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:16 am

I had never even heard about Peavey instruments, it had always been amplifiers. Now, I'm going to come out and say up front....I had always been a Rickenbacker snob. I never really ever looked at other basses but I was at a yard sale in 2002 and saw this bass for sale. It was hooked up to an amplifier so that someone could try it out. Well, I thought the bass looked pretty cool so I plugged her in. WOW. I was AMAZED at the sound of this bass that they were selling for $100 including case!

Bought my first T-40 and started to do a little research, having known nothing about them, period. Harmony Central had fantastic reviews so I started to look up on eBay how much these were actually going for....at the time you could get a very near mint T-40 for $200. I still had this stigma that it was a cheap bass and the prices reflected that. Boy, with hindsight as it is, I wish I bought up every T-40 out there at the time. Now, this bass is finally getting it's due respect.

I've owned many T-40's over the years since then but have always sold them because of the weight. My shoulder and back have rebelled against playing such a heavy bass for hours at a time. I've done extensive research on these basses and have dealt with it's creator, Chip Todd a lot with sales and repairs ever since. Chip is retired now but still has taken the time to post on other forums about his knowledge of the T-40 and T-60.

I look forward to contacting him with the hope that he will register and share his thoughts and wisdom about the instrument that he helped put on the map, and change how other companies built their instruments.

Scottpro1969
Admin

View user profile http://t40mafia.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Re: My first T-40

Post  oldrookie on Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:18 am

Nice idea for a new forum! Peavey finally seems to be getting a lot of love for some oft-neglected basses.

Interesting story about your first T-40.

I've never owned one, but have played a few in a local used/vintage guitar store. Love the sound, not so much the weight.

I have a Foundation and two Furies. Refinished the first Fury (I don't like black basses) and am refinishing the second (not crazy about red basses Laughing.) Love the necks. Would have posted this in the "other" section, but it isn't open for posts yet.

oldrookie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacatto on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:23 am

The T-40 stories fascinate me due to its introduction in the 70's, and the natural finish grabs me. Though, I have not demo'd or purchased one, it's just a matter of time before I will do that demo, and enjoy the vibe.
Stacatto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My First T-40

Post  chiptodd on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:43 am

I am working on the weight problem and have it almost solved. The hangup is the open-grain finish on the natural Ash bodies; it keeps leaking the Helium. Smile
Chip

chiptodd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisdb on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:43 pm

thanks scott-
nice to see you're still playing bass. I'm playing mostly guitar lately but still keep a dark-star'd t-45 and a original t-40 around for my little projects.
I recently ebayed some Peavey stuff- a t-45 bass and some pickups (blades, one bass and two guitar). All my buyers were European. Apparently europeans have more respect for our American made instruments than our fellow americans

chrisdb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scottpro1969 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:07 am

Welcome Chris and thank you for coming aboard! I SAW that T-45 and had to sit on my hands so I wouldn't buy it!! That was CLEAN!

I've also been playing mostly guitar lately but I've been itching to get my basses back out!

I'm not sure if Europeans have more respect for our products but I know it's really difficult for them to obtain them. Most sellers won't bother to ship overseas as it is somewhat of a hassle.

Scottpro1969
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Scottpro1969 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:11 am

oldrookie and Stacatto,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for coming over!! Do yourselves a favor and pick up a T-40. I think you'll be amazed at the tone possibilities. The only issue is the weight. I currently don't own one because of that but I miss the tone so much. I'll be in the market to pick one up very soon, weight issues and all. I'll sit down to play if I have to but the T-40 tone is like cowbell......"I gotta have more!!!"

Scottpro1969
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Scottpro1969 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:14 am

oldrookie wrote:Nice idea for a new forum! Peavey finally seems to be getting a lot of love for some oft-neglected basses.

Interesting story about your first T-40.

I've never owned one, but have played a few in a local used/vintage guitar store. Love the sound, not so much the weight.

I have a Foundation and two Furies. Refinished the first Fury (I don't like black basses) and am refinishing the second (not crazy about red basses Laughing.) Love the necks. Would have posted this in the "other" section, but it isn't open for posts yet.

All of the forums are open for business. Someone just has to go in there and hit "new topic" and you can start one yourself!!! Please do!

Scottpro1969
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum