Which strings?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which strings?

Post  ack on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:39 am

Hey all,

I'm interested to know which strings you've tried and which strings you like the best on your T-40. also knowing what types of music you play and your setup might also be useful information to others.

Bass: '81 T40 (bladed)

Music & Environment:
Novice/Casual. I don't play gigs, and I stick to Rock, Blues/Rock type of music through a SWR 100W or Peavey TNT130 combo amps. I usually have to cut through acoustic drums (my youngest son) and guitar (oldest son) in a small (20x20) carpeted room, so the bass needs some punch...which is why I usually choose the T40 to play when we're all playing together. I also use run: output ---> Zoom B2 ---> MXR MX80 DI ---> amp (the other output goes to the board). I basically use the B2 as a tuner.

Strings:
My '81 came with a pretty well used set of DR LowRiders on it. - Sounded OK, but a little dull - I was told that they were very old (I'll probably try another set down the road)
On a suggestion, I changed to Ernie Ball Group II Flatwounds - Hated the feel, and I never felt it brought the best out of the bass.
6 months later, I switched over to DR Highbeams - Like 'em a lot. Nice full sound.

Still experimenting...
ack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which strings?

Post  Scottpro1969 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:04 am

Except for an Epiphone Hofner clone, with which I use TI Flats to get the Beatles tone, my string of choice for rounds is DR Black Beauties. They have a nice bright sound, excellent feel on the hands and I've never heard mine get dull sounding. I've never had a bad or dead set. They seem to be pretty consistent in quality.

It's awesome that your children have picked up instruments. That must be a great feeling to play with them! cheers

Scottpro1969
Admin

View user profile http://t40mafia.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Which strings?

Post  ack on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:31 pm

Scottpro1969 wrote: It's awesome that your children have picked up instruments. That must be a great feeling to play with them! cheers
Yeah, it's the greatest gig I could ever wish for.
I didn't really pick up an instrument until I was 46 or so - a huge waste of time that I would have hated for my kids to duplicate.
I'm thrilled that they took to their respective instruments and have opted to take (and stick with) lessons.
ack

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which Strings?

Post  funwithguitars on Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:55 pm

I use Rotosound extra long flats. I love the deep classic sound and these puppies do the trick. Still able to get some brighter tones out of the bridge pu as well. I play various forms of Christian rock with our worship band at church.
funwithguitars

View user profile http://www.funwithguitars.com

Back to top Go down

Re:strings

Post  mkoby on Wed May 18, 2011 6:19 pm

#1 has Circle K 43-110 balanced
#2 GHS super steels 45-100
#3 Rotosound flats
#4 (when I get it back together) will be strung with heavier Circle K balanced

mkoby

View user profile

Back to top Go down