The Bolt-On US Peavey Dyna Bass Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Bolt-On US Peavey Dyna Bass Thread

Post  Stacatto on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:20 pm

The Bolt-On US Peavey Dyna Bass was produced from about 1985 to 1994 in 4 & 5 String versions. Owners/users have posted on various forums and mentioned at least three different versions? Reviews, input, and PHOTOS would be appreciated!
(Peavey Dyna 'Unity' neck-through Basses are not covered in this thread.)

Original pickups were Super Ferrite neck and bridge pickups, and later Dyna Basses had VFL (vertical flux loading) pickups installed.

Colors found to-date: Black, Metallic Red, Graphite, Pearl White, Frost Blue, Coral Pink. (There may be Dyna Basses with other special order colors.) The color options were standard or special order. Per Kim on TB, standard colors were: "The original series Dyna colors were black, metallic red, graphite and pearl white. The black and graphite came with black hardware. The pearl white and metallic red came with gold hardware." My 5 String is Frost Blue, and I've documented others in Coral Pink, and a Teal-like color. Have you seen the bolt-on Dyna in Gold or other colors not mentioned, above? Most of the photos posted on the web indicate the headstock, and back of neck are matching in color to the body.

Description: polyester/urethane finish; adjustments on neck for truss rod and neck tilt; Fully articulated Schaller bridge; extra deep-rib cage contour; Molded plastic case. Controls: volume, blend, low, mid, high EQ, Bypass switch for active (single 9V battery) or passive output. The up position is passive and bypasses the internal preamp. Definition of blend: Selecting pickup for output or combination of more/less output from bridge or neck pup. Other option: Kahler Tremolo. Tools: 'Truss Rod' adjustment via 5/16 socket-type wrench; 'Neck Tilt' adjustment via 1/8 Allen wrench.

Pros: Fast neck, quality hardware, consistent quality control, battery bypass switch. Cons: 9V battery is located behind three screw-preamp cover.

The specs. below relate to a 5 String 'Frost Blue' Dyna Bass owned by the OP with serial number 04030XXX dating the year of manuf. to 1989.

Weight Lbs./oz.: 9Lbs. 3 oz.
Body Wood: Ash & Maple Wings?
Neck/Fret Woods Maple/Rosewood
Neck Style: ---
Neck Width (nut): 1-3/4" or 1.750" (44.45mm)
Radius: 8.00" or mm
Scale: 34" (864mm)
String-through: No
Neck-through: No
No. of Strings: 5
No. of Frets: 21
Pickups: Super Ferrites
Active/Passive: Active+Passive
Year Made: 1989
Country of Origin: USA
Stacatto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Bolt-On US Peavey Dyna Bass Thread

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Now that's a great post! Loads of great info in there. That's exactly the kind of stuff I've been collecting on vintage Peavey's over the years.
Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacatto on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:30 pm

Thanks Frank! We'll be looking for photos in this thread, soon! Wink
Stacatto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:55 pm

That would be great! I started work on a T-Series Spotter's Guide a few years ago but have never finished it. Can't finish until I find photos of all the variations.
Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacatto on Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:01 pm

"Frost Blue" - 5 String Dyna Bass (1989)

Stacatto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacatto on Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Stacatto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  audiomitch on Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:28 pm

I love that Blue Dyna-Bass! I think I know now what my next fiver is going to be!

audiomitch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scottpro1969 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:38 pm

That frost blue is a rare bird. I don't see them come up for sale too often. Love it!

Scottpro1969
Admin

View user profile http://t40mafia.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

17.25 String Spacing

Post  Stacatto on Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Maximum string spacing is 17.25 mm on this 5 String Dyna Bass.
(Formula: Measure from center of B string to center of G string and divide by 4. In this case, 69mm รท 4 = 17.25 maximum)

The Schaller bridge is adjustable with a small, threaded wheel holding each string-which can be adjusted horizontally, according to the player's preference. The string fits over the center-it works similar to a vehicle tire centered on the wheel.

A caliper gadget is handy for this type of measurement.
Caliper cost = $15 US
Stacatto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blanket on Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:33 pm

Great post. I haven't even played one yet, but the Dyna sits right behind the T series on by wish list.

blanket

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stacatto on Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:14 am

Blanket, after everything that I read about this model-I went for a the fiver in this post, and have been smiling ever since!
Stacatto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ajish4@ on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:34 pm

What can I say,

This Dyna is the love of my life. This poor baby has become my main gigging bass.

'Tis a HAPPY/SAD story.

The long and short of it is, it was love at first sight. I purchased it from a fellow on Talk Bass.

Have you ever had just everything go wrong from the beginning of a deal? This was one of those deals. I pm'd the seller, I was second in line to get it....praying the first guy would back out, and for some reason, he did.... I went to use my Paypal account, and someone hijacked it, it took me days to get the money to the seller, afraid I was going to lose it scurrying to get the funds to the seller. This bass broke all rules for me. I HATE BLACK basses, but something about this one called to me.

From it being lost to being caught in a flood in the mid west and arrived, left out in the rain still stinking to high heaven...arriving damaged and completely soaked.

These were the before pictures.

The moment I took it out of it's soggy coffin, my hand bonded with the neck of this sweetheart and I was lost. I paid more than I probably should have at the time, about $285.00. Not bad, but not good for a Dyna. However, it didn't play...too wet I'd imagine...THEN, I beg my luthier to try to bring it back to life. He removed the control plate and the water just poured out of it. Probably raw sewage, man did it STINK! He just looked at me with THAT LOOK....you know the look, the one that says this is going to cost WAY more than the bass is worth look! Crying or Very sad
AND IT DID. All the screws were rusting, the springs in the tail piece were too. The stacked knobs were crushed into each other and wouldn't function. It was working ok for a while, but now the ACTIVE electronics are starting to go. Passive it works fine, active...not so much.

It just feels like magic when I play it. I'm constantly on the hunt for parts for this baby. I'm told it is a very late model Dyna, and so far, I've had no luck. My dream would be to find one to just take all the electronics and gold parts off of to make this girl look like she once did.

LOL, something about Dyna basses, my neck through Dyna Unity was another tough story, but that's for another post.

ajish4@

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top