Bass Hunting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bass Hunting

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Thu May 17, 2012 5:20 pm

No, I wasn't out hunting fish today. Wink I got a call from a pawn shop telling me they had a T-20 available. So I headed to the shop fully expecting to buy it. When I got there it was a dark burst and in pretty good shape. The thumb rest on the pickup was busted but $150 with case seemed okay to me. So I grabbed it to play a bit. You know I'm just a guitar player so I played my best rhythm guitar licks on it to test drive. Whoa! That neck is a lot wider than I was expecting. For some reason I was expecting something closer to a J-Bass but this thing seemed just as wide as my old T-40. Needless to say I couldn't justify buying it because I know it wouldn't get much play time with me. My T-40 basically spent her entire life with me in her case or sitting on a stand because of the wide neck width at the nut.

The shop had a very cool red Dyna Bass and the neck was more to my liking but the price wasn't. Two other shops nearer to me have two different year Fury. Or would plural Fury be Furies? Anyways, one is a black/rosewood Super Ferrite with the T-style headstock. I like that one. Another shop has a new Fury that is red/maple and has a J-style pickup. I like the red but it looks to Fender for my taste. I'll probably end up getting that black Fury soon. I planned on grabbing it today but got sidetracked and ended up buying another pedal board. Rolling Eyes

ITOC #05-00013

4 T-60s, T-63, T-15, Generation Standard, Hydra, Mantis LT, Milestone, Mystic, Odyssey, Patriot, Patriot tremolo, Predator, Raptor, Razer, Reactor, 3 Rockmasters, Tracer, Bandit, Musician 400, VSS 20, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP-1.
Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bass Hunting

Post  Scottpro1969 on Fri May 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Tony,

I have owned both a T-20 and a super ferrite Fury. Other than the body contour being slightly different, I found the necks to be the same. Was the neck on the Fury that much different? I know that the later ones with the Jazz-style pickup had a much thinner neck. I'm confused scratch

Either way, if you find one you like, awesome! cheers

Man, I'd be a buyer for that T-20 burst that you played. Shhhh...don't tell the wife Wink

Proud ITOC #05-00048

Scottpro1969
Admin

View user profile http://t40mafia.englishboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Mon May 21, 2012 9:36 pm

The difference in the necks on that T-20 and the Super Ferrite Fury was huge to me. The T-20 felt every bit as wide and thick as the T-40 to me. A side by side comparision with the Dyna hanging next to the T-20 was a huge difference as well. The Super Ferrite Fury and the newer Fender style Fury felt much thinner and more narrow that the T-20. A lot closer to the way the Dyna felt.

I still haven't decided if I want to get another bass or not. I have a good friend from junior high living a couple miles from me and he is a great bassit. If I need bass line on a demo he's the one that does it anyways. Maybe I should just stick to guitar?

My buddy only has three basses right now, but it covers all the sounds. 12-string Dean, Noel Redding J-Bass and a hollow body, short scale something.

ITOC #05-00013

4 T-60s, T-63, T-15, Generation Standard, Hydra, Mantis LT, Milestone, Mystic, Odyssey, Patriot, Patriot tremolo, Predator, Raptor, Razer, Reactor, 3 Rockmasters, Tracer, Bandit, Musician 400, VSS 20, Vypyr 30, Vypyr VIP-1.
Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NGPeavey on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:37 pm

Tony
I found a t20 the other day on Dalton Pike. Since I don't need another bass I didn't even pick it up. At $250.00, I thought it was a little too much for my budget right now. Go to Riverbend and have some fun this week! Glenn

NGPeavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:14 pm

Are you talking about the pawn shop on Cleveland Highway in the vicinity of Big D's flea market? That's where I found the T-20 a few weeks ago. I want to think it was priced at $250.

I was wrong about that black Fury. It doesn't have super ferrites. I don't know what I was thinking. It's got a J-style pickup. I went back to look at it the other day thinking I would get it. I just can't convince myself to grab it yet.

I didn't make it to Riverbend the first two nights. Not sure if I'm going Sunday night or not. Have to work Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights this coming week. I'm going to miss all the good shows. I'm not sure who is playing Wednesday and Thursday but I may head out there since live only a couple miles from the Coke stage.

ITOC #05-00013

Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank N. Peavey on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:06 pm

I was determined to get a bass today. I was going to get that red Fury despite the fact it looks like a Fender. You know me, love red. When I got to the shop I just couldn't do it. So I headed to other shops to see what they had. Stopped back at the pawn shop with the T-20 and red Dyna Bass determined to get one of them. Still couldn't get used to the wide T-20 and the Dyna Bass was a lot rougher than I remembered. Headed to another shop and saw a natural Fury with the T-style headstock and single Super Ferrite. Thought it was cool and only $150, but it was really rough and had crazy fingerboard damage. It looked that Freddy Krueger owned it and gave it to Wolverine.

So I ended up buying a black/rosewood T-60. Go figure, head out to get a bass and buy another guitar. Shocked

ITOC #05-00013

Frank N. Peavey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top